Erika Winters, Inc.

ERIKA WINTERS, INC.

Interior Design, Building, Art, Life Style

“Our Home is the Finger Print of our Heritage and Consciousness”

-Erika Winters

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Setting Up a Studio in Los Angeles: Let the Adventure Begin . . .




For many years, I had the good fortune to have my showroom in a house on Atlixco 45 in the Colonia Condesa in Mexico City, in the same building where I had grown up with my sisters, my mother and great aunts, and where my mother and her brothers had been raised before me.


The Condesa district was also where my parents met each other, fell in love, and were reputedly the best-looking couple in the neighborhood. That’s right, my mum and dad.


As a young girl, my mother would tell me about the importance of “beauty”, “style” and “art”. This meant that I grew up surrounded by music and art books, and we would go on visits to museums, galleries, antique stores, and as we grew older she would take us to open-air concerts in Chapultepec Park and at Mexico’s largest public university, the UNAM. My mother also enrolled me on summer courses at museums such as the Carrillo Gil. And of course, how could I forget our ritual visits to La Lagunilla market in downtown Mexico City, where we would always come down with something afterwards!



These experiences definitely lie at the roots of the person I am today and provide a source of inspiration to me. The years went by and after spending my childhood playing in that house, I had become a woman. 

I named my showroom Erika Winters Design just over 10 years ago. 
Who would have guessed that after 40 years the house would become the home for my professional career as an interior designer. I converted a part of the house into my workshop, where I produced several pieces of restored furniture in a myriad of colors and exotic materials. A house that created decorative designs, dreams and realities. 



Thanks to my “good taste” and “characteristic style” I attracted clients who helped me continue to hone my skills and grow in my chosen career. I was always very attentive to my clients’ tastes and needs, translating them for their spaces to give a chic and urban touch, but always respecting their personalities.



At the same time, my curiosity led me to seek out and experiment in new fields to continue developing my imagination. Soon after setting up my showroom, I began to travel abroad, always seeking to broaden my horizons. 


Soon an opportunity arose in Los Angeles, California. “The Living Room” on Sunset Boulevard launched the Erika Winters Design brand, using one of my collections of restored furniture at my workshop in Mexico City. This gave me the wings to take off and cross new frontiers in the world of interior design. 


Almost without me realizing it, everything had fallen into place for me to take the next step. The change was not easy and required a lot of work along the way. 

Once established, I found I was in contact with new people and potential clients. I realized that my tastes in design, color and the cutting-edge were not far removed from my new situation.



 
After three years in my new space, I have been immersed in new styles, colors, materials, tastes and needs: the same raw materials but from a new perspective



I realize that I am still restless, opening up the panorama before me to offer new possibilities and radical changes. 

I now understand that I am the business. Wherever I am, or wherever I’m flying to, my home and my profession will always be right here, where I am. 

Enjoy
Erika Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment